Monday, July 11, 2011

Journalism is the first rough draft of history

The above quote has been one of my favorites for quite a while now. I think it really tells the true role of a journalist. As a journalist, we have the tools to make history and the freedom to choose what ultimately does. Kinda mind blowing right?

While keeping that in mind, we traveled to the Newseum today. What's the Newseum you may ask? Well, it's exactly what the title says, a museum dedicated to news and how the story gets out. I really enjoyed this trip, partially because I was not rushed like I was last time, and I understood a good bit more of the history than I did my Freshman year. I specifically remembered the room of many newspapers reporting major events of world history as my favorite area. This played true today! I found myself spending most of my time there fascinated by what I was looking at. I saw a piece from The Liberator, you know that newspaper calling for freedom pre the Civil War. Yeah, gotta love William Lloyd Garrison! This was my high light by a long shot! 
 

















After having my mind blown by that, I saw a report from 1455 explaining the Gunplowder plot.  The Gunplowder plot? Really now? That's pretty old. I was without a doubt shocked to see reports that date back then! 

Photojournalism was huge today! There were so many great shots, all which made me want to get out and shoot really badly! Here are two of my favorites:


Suprised...


I also saw a the largest section of the Berlin Wall outside of Germany. It was so moving hearing first hand accounts of the terror that took place on those borders. Even with that being the case, I really enjoyed seeing that artifact.So in case you have not noticed, I was very impressed by my trip to day! To think that I once found that museum uninteresting. Kudos to WJMC for these amazing pictures. Sadly, my camera does not even come close to the above quality.

During our debriefing, a big question was raised about photography. When you, as the photographer are shooting of a heart wrenching topic, do you help or do you sit back and watch? Here's an example, there was a photograph of a man being burned alive. Do you agree that the photographer did what was right by not helping or do you think that he should have stepped in? It may sound like an easy question, but think about your job. Many photojournalists are told not to be involved. After a time a of debating, no real conclusion
was made. That is a very personal question that I leave the answer up to you.

This evening we had concurrent sessions, where we were free to choose who we wanted to hear. I went to a session on Intercultural Communication as well as Public Relations. I was supper pumped to hear both of these speakers, because I want to study both! They were fantastic speakers, and I feel truly blessed knowing that I got to hear their advice. Mr. Ed Prugh(PR) stressed a really good point ,"PR is all about telling your story." In addition to that, he stressed on making an impact, and what PR is really about(the three steps as I call it).

What PR is really about
1.building trust
2.Delivering truth
3.Paying attention and following up

He also showed a video about the changing roles of media. Be sure to check it out. http://www.youtube.com/user/Socialnomics09?blend=1&ob=5

He really was a great speaker, and don't get me wrong Mr. Hopson with Intercultural Communications was FANTASTIC also. He stressed how much we write with a stereotype in mind, and how our predetermined ideas make it into our writing. He reminded me to write responsibly, and I think any aspiring writer should be reminded of that. Everything you write is credited back to you, especially in a highly technical world. Nothing is ever erased off the Internet.  

Here is a brief preview of my new photojournalism mini blog This is Dorm Life. Let me apologize in advance for my camera quality, it is nothing of a fancy Nikon or Canon. 

 This is completely normal.
...



No comments:

Post a Comment